Life is unpredictable, and the peril of unfortunate demise is pretty relevant. If the bread-winner of the house departs suddenly, the family succumbs its source of livelihood. In that circumstance, the family suffers some significant economic crisis. The savings which the family holds might not prove to be adequate to satisfy all their monetary requirements of this is where financial security is explored. A term life insurance policy ensures this economic security and supports the family to deal with the monetary loss if the bread-winner departs untimely.
What is a Term Insurance Plan?
A term insurance policy is a protection plan that has a definite term and amount insured. If the policyholder passes away during the term of the plan, the selected amount ensures the nominee(s) is given the death benefit by the insurance company to the departed's family. This cumulative benefit supports the family to deal with their monetary loss.
Also Read - What is Term Insurance?
Types of Term Insurance Plans in India
Term insurance plans are available in several variants, and each alternative guarantees something distinct. Here are a few types of term insurance plans in India –
1. Level Term Insurance Plans
Level term plans are those plans in which the amount ensured continues to remain consistent during the policy. In case any person demises the policyholder, the preferred sum secured is paid. Level term plans are the most simplistic term insurance plans obtainable in the market.
2. Increasing Term Insurance Plans
Under increasing term insurance plans, the preferred sum secured progress each year by a set amount. In the event of demise, the amount guaranteed available in the year of passing is paid. For example, in a term insurance plan, the amount ensured rises by 5 per cent each year. If any user purchases a term insurance policy with a cap of Rs.10 lakhs, the coverage will become Rs. 10.5 lakhs in the following year. The amount promised would be Rs.11 lakhs in the third year, Rs.11.5 lakhs in the fourth year and so on. If the person insured expires in the fourth policy year, Rs.11.5 lakhs would be given in that case even though the picked amount assured was Rs.10 lakhs.
3. Decreasing Term Insurance Plans
The reverse of increasing term policies is decreasing term insurance policies. Under these policies, the amount guaranteed diminishes every year. Decreasing term insurance policies are normally granted as credit recovery plans wherein the reduction in the amount assured customarily meets the reducing balance of the outstanding credit. In case any person demises the policyholder, the lowered amount assured available in the year of expiration is paid. The aim of decreasing term insurance policies is to pay off the loan's remaining balance if the borrower departs before repayment.
4. Term Insurance Plans with Return of Premium
Also known as the return of premium plans or TROP, these term insurance plans are distinct from other kinds of term insurance plans as they hold a maturity advantage. If the person insured dies during the duration of the plan, the amount assured is paid. If the insured person survives the duration of the plan, the instalments paid are returned. As the premium amounts are returned on maturity, this plan is known as the premium term insurance plan's return. This policy is appropriate for people seeking financial safety as well as a perk on policy maturity.
5. Group Term Insurance Plans
Another alternative of a term insurance policy is a group term insurance plan. Acknowledged groups purchase group plans for their members. These organisations can be banks and their account holders, employer-employee groups, trade unions and their members, clubs and their members, etc. are granted for one year. Every member is covered under a single master policy. If any member expires during this one year, the equal sum assured is granted to the family of the member. Coverage for other members, however, resumes. After each year, the policy has to be revived. Premiums can be paid by the organisation, its affiliates, or its members in a particularised proportion.
How does a Term Insurance Work?
Once a patron determines the policy duration and the secured amount, the instalment for term insurance plan is computed based on various determinants like health, age, coverage sum, duration etc. This instalment remains fixed throughout the policy duration. The premium can be given at monthly periods or just once. The policyholder can also choose how they desire to obtain the coverage sum.
Once a term insurance plan is bought, and in case of the policyholder's death within the given term, the insurance firm gives the coverage amount to the recipient specified in the policy. If the policyholder is alive, the coverage terminates, usually without any company's monetary payment. However, if the policy incorporates remainder advantages, the policyholder will receive a lump sum amount once the policy matures.
Post the policy term is completed, if the policy provides for restoration and the policyholder needs to revive the policy, it can be renewed. Usually, restorations are granted till the policyholder attains the maximum age limit outlined by the insurer. However, in the matter of revisions, the premium amount is recalculated for the new term.
Important Features of Term Insurance Plans
Term insurance policies have the subsequent essential advantages which you should remember to follow the plan thoroughly –
1. Term plans require very moderate premiums as the policy comprises only the risk of mortality.2. There is normally zero limits on the coverage that you can avail. Users can, consequently, opt for greater coverage levels, as per their specification, for stabler financial security.3. The policy's coverage term can move up to 30 or 35 years, enabling you to relish coverage up to matured ages.4. There is zero surrender value or paid-up value under term insurance plans. If you discontinue financing the premiums, the policy will terminate, and you would receive no compensation.5. Gratuity is not disclosed under term insurance plans. In case any person demises the policyholder, only the sanctioned sum assured is paid.6. A variety of riders are available under term insurance plans. These riders assist you in improving the extent of coverage of the policy.
Why should you Buy a Term Insurance Plan?
A term insurance policy is a must for every person who needs to present monetary security to his/her family. You should buy a term insurance plan if –
a) You are the only earning person of your familyb) Your family is financially reliant on you.c) You possess financial objects for yourself and your family which require to be met.
The term insurance policy guarantees great coverage at very reasonable premiums allowing you to choose a maximum coverage level. This optimum coverage assures that your family's financial needs are taken care of in your absence. No additional investment plan ensures financial security which term insurance plan guarantees, and thus, the term insurance plan is a must-buy for everyone.
How to Buy the Best Term Insurance Plan?
When you wish to buy the best term insurance policy for yourself, there are certain things which you should contemplate to determine the best plan. These things are as follows –
1. The term insurance plan should enable you to opt for the amount assured that you require. Normally, term insurance plans do not confine the amount assured; however, users must find out the maximum coverage granted under the plan.
2. The premiums of the term insurance policy should be moderate and affordable. The policy should not burn a hole in your pocket.
3. The policy should extend a wide extent of coverage, both inbuilt and with the help of riders so that you can secure an all-round assurance.
4. The term insurance policy should be adaptable so that you can customise it as per your coverage requirements.
5. There should be engaging premium reductions which reduce the premium of the policy.
6. The insurance company's claimed method should be easy, and the claim settlement ratio should be high so that the likelihood of the settlement of your claims advances.
To buy the best term insurance plan, you must always evaluate all the available plans before purchasing. Comparing various plans allows you to pick the most suitable plan which extends comprehensive coverage benefits and levies low premiums.