The form 6 for filing an income tax return is exclusively for companies who have not filed a return of income under section 11. So, what are the companies claiming exemptions under section 11? Companies whose income from property is held for charitable or religious purposes are eligible to claim exemption under section 11 of the Income Tax Act.
While it is essential to file ITR 6 Form, here is a breakdown of basics you want to know before filing a return of income using form ITR 6.
Structure of ITR-6 Form:
1) Part A – General Information
2) Part B
3) Schedules of ITR 6 Form:
Out of the total 42 schedules under ITR 6 form, some of the most essential schedules include:
Eligibility to File return using ITR-6:
ITR 6 form can be used by all companies other than those who fall under Form ITR-7. The below mentioned taxpayers are not liable to file ITR-6 Form:
How to file ITR-6 Form?
ITR 6 has to be compulsorily furnished under digital signature through the electronic mode on the Income Tax Department’s tax filing portal.
1) Register yourself using details like PAN, date of birth, etc. and choose a password. Your PAN will be your user ID.
2) Choose How You Want to e-file - You can either download this form, save it to your desktop, fill it and upload it to the site; or you can fill in details in an online form.
3) Select the Form Type “ITR 6 Form” from all the options.
4) Keep the documents including PAN, Form 16, TDS certificates, details of investment, interest statements, life insurance, and home loans ready. If your income for the FY is more than Rs 50 Lakhs, you will have to fill an additional form of ‘Assets and Liabilities’.
5) Verify using one of the 2 options to verify your form submission – In case you submit your frm with a digital signature, your form will be verified through OTP and an acknowledged number will be generated. Otherwise, in case you submit the form without a digital signature, an ITR-V is sent to your registered email ID, which need to be verified to complete the forming process, by sending it to Bangalore processing centre within 120 days of filing the return.
No annexure required: No document (including TDS certificate) should be attached with this return form while filing ITR-6.
Also, taxpayers are advised to match the taxes deducted/collected/paid by them with their Tax Credit Statement Form 26AS.
Major Changes made in ITR-6 for AY 2020-21:
1) Introduction of a separate schedule 112A to calculate the long-term capital gains on the sale of units of a business trust or equity share liable to STT.
2) Tax computation details for secondary adjustments under section 92CE(2A) while filing ITR 6 form.
3) Details of tax deduction claims for investments made during April 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020.
Invest in Tax saving plans by Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance and save on your taxes. Explore our plans today!